[Wolves] desktop sharing and modem/router

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Sat Aug 27 09:46:41 BST 2005

Mo Awkati wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been helping one of converts through desktop
> sharing both using SuSE 9.2. However, I installed a
> Zoom ADSL modem/router to connect to the internet and
> since then I have not been able to connect to her PC.
> I know the modem has its built in firewall could that
> be the issue? and if so how do I deal with it? There
> is nothing on the Zoom website.
>
> Also anyone done desktop sharing from ADSL to dial up?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mo

Yes, it is almost certainly the firewall.

*** WARNING ***
This MUST be done with due attention to security, otherwise the security
of the system WILL be compromised.
*** WARNING ***

First you need to find out which port(s)/protocol is being used for
desktop sharing (if VNC, probably 6000 to 6010 and TCP).

Then you need to configure the firewall to forward that port (or ports)
to the IP address of the SuSE system. Look in the firewall configuration
for "Port Forwarding" or "DMZ"

Once that is done, to gain remote access to the system you need to
connect to the IP address of the outside of the firewall (this is where
dyndns.org becomes very useful).

Did I say you need to be very careful about maintaining security?

The use may say "Oh, there is nothing important on the system", that is
not the point.  If the system is compromised, it could be used for all
manner of dubious (or even illegal) purposes, such as hosting a pr0n
website or a spam mail server.

- --
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk