[Wolves] defragmentation and linux

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 23:07:28 BST 2005

--- roundyz <roundyz at hotpop.com> wrote:

> I have never heard of anyone defraging their linux
> ext2 or 3 fs.
> Is this a microsot only thing?

Not sure it's a Microsoft only thing, but you don't
need to on ext2/3 because they are more intelligent
file systems, it organises your data in the least
fragmented way possible at every opportunity. I could
get my uni notes on filesystems out but I'm tired and
doing a final mail check before going to bed.

You can defrag an ext2/3 volume if you really want to
(I forget the command), but there is generally no need
at all.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk