[Wolves] One for the python mingers?

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Thu Dec 1 11:27:24 GMT 2005

Peter Cannon wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I need to get this package installed having read the README file 14 times and
> two nose bleeds later where the b%$@ hell do I put it?
>
> --<snip from README>--
> Create a .pth file, say reportlab.pth in your Python
> home directory.  It should have one line:
> d:/ReportLab.
>
> Alternatively unpack the archive into a directory which is already on your
> python path.
> --<end>--
>
> Here is the whereis output of my system, or am I barking up the wrong tree.
>
> [root at lightstar ~]# whereis python
> python: /usr/bin/python2.4 /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/python2.4 /usr/include/python2.4 /usr/share/man/man1/python.1.gz
>
> I need to get this installed so that I can install Kumla I've done all the
> other packages.

Hi Peter,

On a Linux system locally installed python modules will normally live in
a "site-packages" directory. This is normally somewhere like
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages or
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages, depending on your $distro.

The .pth file is used by Python to flatten the import list, so for
instance rather than saying (in python-ish) :

import foo.bar

Where foo is the directory you created in site-packages. With the
$whatever.pth you can do :

import bar

In teh above instance, the .pth file would contain just "foo"

Hope that helps (enough),

David.

--
David Goodwin