[Wolves] Video Recording via USB on Linux

Joe Wrigley joe at wrigley.me.uk
Wed Dec 7 16:30:28 GMT 2005

Barbie wrote:
> There are a number of technical user groups that post audio and video
> from their technical meetings online. As such I'm looking to see whether
> I can utilise my digital camera to recording the Birmingham.pm technical
> meetings.
>
> However, the only connection I can do from the camera is USB. The xD
> cards only record about 3mins, which is nowhere near long enough to
> properly record a lightning talk, let alone a whole evening. I have seen
> various comments online that this is not the way to go, but nothing
> about how to actually do it and whether there is any software I can use.
> I may be trying the impossible if the camera doesn't support being able
> to stream to the USB port, but it did say in the manual that it can act
> like a webcam, so I'm assuming it can.
>
> I should mention the laptop is running Debian Sarge, that I intend to
> use for this, and the camera is a Fuji FinePix 5100.

I had terrible problems trying to get something like this working with
my FinePix F601Zoom. I finally found a driver for it at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fpix (don't know if it will work for you).

After that, it was a matter of trying to find something that could
record from it reliably as most of the things I looked at like cinelarra
seemed geared up to only work with firewire Video4Linux stuff.

Trusty VLC has given me the best results and at a much smaller file size
than the stupid windows shareware I tried before.

Don't know if that will help at all.

Joe