[Wolves] Re: The Open Source Development Paradigm

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 23:19:53 GMT 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>On 08/12/05, David Goodwin <dg at clocksoft.com> wrote:
>

>> ... gnumeric, abiword etc.....
>

>I don't have any
>experience of Gnumeric, sorry.  Abiword?  Now that one does indeed
>have MS document format support - but is it completely free and open
>source? Not forgetting that it's only a word processing package rather
>than a whole suite.

Very free and much faster and better at handling Word docs. It IS an
office suite if you call it Gnome Office
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/.

It's all about the marketing ;-)

The Unix Way is interfacing not integrating - small tools that do one
thing well.

... and I've never understood why anyone needs presentation software.

Woo

p.s. Sorry I missed the LUG meeting again. I had a work Christmas meal
that crept up on me while I wasn't looking.