[Wolves] Indymedia - environmental cost

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 14:19:21 GMT 2005

Sparkes,

Thanks. There are some interesting links from that page. One has
revitalised my interest in getting my old boxes doing something useful

"According to the study, the manufacturing of one desktop computer and
17-inch CRT (cathode ray tube) monitor requires at least 240 kilograms
of fossil fuels, 22 kilograms of chemicals and 1,500 kilograms of water.
In terms of weight, the total amount of materials used is about equal to
that of a mid-size car.

By far the best way to minimize impact on the environment from a
personal computer is to extend its useful life, said Eric Williams, a
researcher at the United Nations University (UNU) in Tokyo and one of
the report's co-authors."

Tree-Hugger Woo