[Wolves] SuSE and more odd stuff...

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:47:02 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:43:59 +0000, Peter Cannon
<peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 February 2005 23:36, Tim Humpherson wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, that's interesting to note.  Perhaps our wise and noble Peter
> > Cannon may be able to answer this one?
> >
> > Peter, could you help this poor blighter?  :-P
> >
> > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:53:02 +0000, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Everybody who is using SuSE 9.2  Is it behaving oddly?  I can't put my
> > > finger on it but I'm not happy with the way some things are happening
> > > in 9.2 as opposed to 9.1  I have already mentioned the  help documents
> > > not being accesible through the normal channels.  Well, i'm also
> > > finding that web downloads don't always appear to be there.  I can't
> > > transfer files to my separate FAT 32 formatted drive and programs seem
> > > to close unexpectedly.  None of this happened with 9.1 it was quite
> > > predictable and solid.  Another thing I have found is that I can't log
> > > into the desktop as root.  Yes, I know it is super, super unsecure to
> > > do this.  I just find it easier to manipulate certain files and
> > > permissions in this manner, again I could do it in 9.1  Now I'm
> > > automatically dumped into YAST.  I am seriously thinking of reverting
> > > back to 9.1
>
> Firstly can I be mister picky and ask people not to change subject lines for a
> thread, its very confusing and makes it difficult to reply this was the
> original thread <SuSE and more odd stuff...> but it changed after a couple of
> posts to <It just gets worse :-(> the topic hasn't changed so lets not change
> the subject line :-)
>
> You might be right <Kevan> my first reaction was "Well I ain't got any
> problems" apart from sound, but then I got to thinking I don't have any of
> the problems you mentioned but NFS is being weird! I export a folder in
> my /home/peter along with two 13gb partitions mounted in the shared folder
> all the permissions are correct. If I do some exchanging unmount the share
> then a little later go back and mount the share only root can read & write,
> if I look at the permissions everything is fine?
>
> Do you, like others, install any of the non standard packages? we had a
> discussion about this the other day.
>
> There seems to be a lot of 'security policy' updates flying around over both
> Suse and Fedora my money is on these, maybe they arn't perfected, of course
> the problem is with Suse you don't have much choice unless you disable that
> particular update but then your stuffed for later on.
>
> There is one other possibility you (Kevan) Tim and I have got our copies of
> Suse from the same source, could it be they are duff copy's?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peter Cannon.
> peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
> Fedora Core 3 & Suse Pro 9.2
>
> "There is every excuse for not knowing
> there is no excuse for not asking"

ok, first I put my hands up, it was me that changed the subject.
However, in my defence, being as I was the originator of the post I
had some other things that were different but related to the original
post.  Hence the change in subject.

Anyway, to the permissions thingy.  I seem to have found the answer to
my access problem with the FAT 32 formatted drive and also to a
problem I had earlier.  Briefly, I posted earlier with a plea about
file downloads in Firefox.  The downloads were directed towards the
errant FAT32 drive.  But as I have mentioned I cannot save anything to
this drive.  So, it appeared that items were being downloaded but when
I tried to find them, nothing! Zilch! Nada!  No error message either,
that is in itself puzzling.  So, I tried to check the permissions for
the drive.  On the desktop User is kev and Owner is users.  That's
right, fine now check permissions.  All are read write and execute.
That is right then.  So next step I have checked the etc/fstab file.
the entry I have for this is as follows:

/dev/hdb5            /local/Windrive      vfat       auto,users
        0 0

this is slightly different from what 'ad' mentioned in his previous
answer but it should be ok.  Or am I mistaken?  It is mounting ok at
/local/Windrive  However.... I have also checked permissions for the
mount point itself 'Windrive'  These are set as User root and Owner
root.  Actual permission being owner can read and write but everybody
else can only view content.  I have attempted - by logging in as root,
I sorted that one - to change the ownership of the mount point to
users.  This in order to allow all users to access the drive which is
what I want.  Nope.  It will let me do it there and then but as soon
as I go back in and check it is all set back to what it was before.

Now to the last part of Peter's reply.  Did you install from the DVD
as I suspect?  This is how I did mine.  Could it be a DVD fault?  I am
going to try installing from the CD's onto a spare drive sometime over
the weekend.  If I get the dame problem then it will be another
support request.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer