[Wolves] SuSE and more odd stuff...

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 14:08:10 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:18:06 +0000, Peter Cannon
<peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 04 February 2005 20:58, Kevanf1 wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm 60% sure I've seen in the Suse documentation you cannot write to
> an NTFS file system, this is not what you are trying to do is it?
> Na, it cant be because you say you can write as root.

Normally you can't write to an NTFS formatted partition in Linux.  I
believe that there is a third party tool being upon to allow it,
however.  But, I knew this anyway which is why the whole drive is a
FAT32 formatted one :-)

> I've lost the plot as to what your setup is? I think I had this problem too
> when I first installed 9.2 your not gonna like the solution.

There is nothing on hda that is not on the DVD.  There are only two
'users' on the system.  The quote marks are because I include root in
those 'users'.  Other than root there is only myself.

> You need to go to system, yast, <password>, system, partitioner. you need to
> format the relevant partition from there. Ignore the warning message if you
> set the mount point from within 'Partitioner' it will automatically write to
> fstab for you with the relevant permissions.

That is exactly how I did it in the first place.  Apart, that is, from
actually partitioning the disk.  It was already partitioned as a FAT32
drive and has files on it that I want to keep.  As I stated before it
has worked and been written to successfully as a normal user when I
had SuSE 9.1 on hda.  This second hard drive is slave on the first IDE
channel and is designated hdb.  All of that I understand - shock, I
actually do understand something in Linux :-)))

> I had the two 13GB partions I talked about in a previous post already setup
> under 9.1 and they worked fine but refused to work under 9.2 so I used the
> above solution now things are fine (apart from the NFS mount glitch)

I have an identical disk that is spare so I will swap it over and let
YAST actually partiton and format it then see what happens.  Perhaps I
will then be able to swap it back again and read from the one I want
to.

I am so glad that I am starting to understand things better now, even
if they don't work as they should.  At least I am learning as is
evidenced by the fact that everything suggested is stuff that I have
tried.  For which I am eternally grateful :-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street