[Wolves] SuSE and more odd stuff...

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 22:44:08 GMT 2005

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 19:00:44 +0000, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:44:49 +0000 (GMT), Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I installed SuSE 9.2 on my father-in-law's pc from the
> > cd as he dosen't have a DVD drive. 9.2 is behaving
> > itself, though I had to copy Scribus from the DVD to
> > install it for him. I don't think its anything to do
> > with the mod eof installation. I think it reacts to
> > the way the machine is configured, add to that the
> > extra security measures it now has. ( I don't know if
> > Kevan tried the "Creat and Edit users" option?).
> >

> > Mo
> >

> I can't remember myself to be honest, Mo.  I think I set my user
> account up during installation.  I shall check it though.

Right, I have now checked the user properties and groups.  I am in
users group which the drive is set up as for access and writing to.

Now, here is yet another bizarre twist to all this.  All the files
have gone!  I had a few bits and pieces on this drive, nothing
critical thankfully and nothing I don't have elsewhere.  Thank god I
have my famous - in the family - coffee cake recipe in my head :-)
Before anybody asks no I haven't formatted, partitioned or anything
else this drive.  All files were there last night at shut down, just
not accessible by me.  I switched on this afternoon but didn't look at
the drive until later.  When I did, clean?  I shall check the drive in
my Windows tin in case Linux is 'not' seeing the files. Why it
shouldn't be I don't know.  I did try a test write to it with a tiny
rtf file and it worked - as root of course :-(

Secondly.  Is Scribus not on the CD then, Mo?  It was with 9.1

I'm still considering reverting back to 9.1
--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street