[Wolves] SuSE and more odd stuff...

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 09:32:02 GMT 2005

On Sunday 06 February 2005 09:17, Mo Awkati wrote:

> Hi Peter
>
> Are we doing the early morning shift! :-)

:-) The wife's at work until 3.00pm so while the cats away......

> As far as SuSE goes, I want to see what happens when
> Kevan tries changing the permissions as I suggested.
> We get these problems only becasue we try to do
> "unusual" things with it. What I mean is that a
> standard machine setup with a new install will have no
> problems, I have my Father-in-law in mind. His PC is
> working fine, he has converted from MS and he is just
> learning to use Linux, I spend an hour with him every
> Monday to teach him, at the same time I am also
> learning more. But because I don't change things or
> mess with settings etc, SuSE runs like a dream.

You've hit the nail on the head this is why any install should be fresh,
theres no way your gonna keep all those tweaks you made. I've also noticed if
you don't mess about too much things work fine but once you start changing
things it seems to have a knock on effect a bit like the domino theory.

> I keep two caddies with SuSE on them and I do my
> testing and experimenting on one and only when I am
> happy with the results that I change the main caddy.

I subscribe to the Backup, backup, backup philosophy I never keep anything
locally that would cause me eternal grief if I lost it so that way if I have
to wipe the install and start again its not a problem. You can spend weeks
and weeks trying to get something to work and its just a waste of your
valuable time.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon