[Wolves] My Ubuntu Headache et al...

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 17:22:26 GMT 2005

 --- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> abdul shakur wrote:
>
> >Hi guys,
> >I have some problems with my pc running ubuntu as
> >follows:
> >
> >1. Can not get any music output though I get
> various
> >sound when I close or open files and others. The cd
> >player actually indicates as running. My sound card
> is
> >an Intel Corp. 82801AA AC'97 Audio.

> 1. You aren't alone Abdul. Your problem may just be
> lack of a wire from
> the CD player to the sound card input though.It may
> have worked like
> that with Windows because it will transfer the data
> over the bus. It is
> a philosophical point whether this is better or
> worse than not working.

Yes. Windows (therefore Media Player) does Digital
Audio Extraction, bypassing the audio cable from your
drive to the soundcard, eliminating the added noise
that this method produces. Most Linux media players
can't do this with the exception of XMMS (after
reconfiguration).

Either get a wire (I have some, but they should be
less than a quid or so if you buy one), or enable the
Universe package repositries in Synaptic and get XMMS.
For the sake of maintaining your Gnome intergration,
getting a wire might be a better thing.

Incidentally, why might DAE be a bad thing? I don't
know much about this to be honest, just wondering.

MP3 playback can be achieved by installing
gsreamer0.8-mad through synaptic. I think this is in
the regular repositries and you shouldn't need to
enable universe.

> Does
> everyone see  two different tabs in the mixer; one
> for OSS and one for
> ALSA? Is Gnome 'Volume Control' the mixer I should
> be using?
> Is
> Gstreamer a good thing? I get the impression we are
> in the middle of
> changing between standards/architectures but I
> haven't been following
> sound until now. Can anyone offer a few pointers?
> Cheers.

Yes, in fact I have 3 (my webcam has a built in mic
and so I have a usb audio mixer). I think it's because
ALSA has replaced OSS as the default sound subsystem
in 2.6 kernels. OSS is provided for legacy
compatibility.

Thats the program I've been using for volume control
and sound mixing. My sound just works so I haven't
really worried about it. Don't know about your card
though, sorry... Maybe find out if you have all of the
right modules?

> >2.Totem does not play my DVD's though I get a
> window.
> >The DVD player is a SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T.

> 2. Look back to recent posts. I think the MP3 and
> DVD code has to be
> obtained elsewhere because of legal restrictions.

The package is called libdvdcss2 I think. The Ubuntu
pages on such things are at:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/RestrictedFormats
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/helpcenterfaq.2004-09-16.3469703387

The Marillat repositries should have what you want.

As Woo said, this has been discussed recently on the
list so check the mailing list. The threads are on:

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2005-January/subject.html

They both start with 'DVD'

Ad

=====