[Wolves] run script as root

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Mon Feb 7 10:28:46 GMT 2005

Simon Burke wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I have a script wish i to be able to run as root without having to
> login as root on RHAS 3.0. I've tried set-uid but it doesnt work, i
> think they only allow binarys to run as set-uid these days.
>
> Otherwise the only thing i can think of is allowing my user account to
> exec the script via editing my suder's file.
>
> Any other suggestions?

You can write a c program, which executes your script. You can make the
C binary setuid, hence it will run the script setuid. This is no better
than using sudo however (and at least sudo does some limited logging).

Sudo is really the best way to go.

see: visudo
    : man sudoers

(there is a NOPASSWORD) option if you're really lazy.

David.

--
David Goodwin
w: http://www.clocksoft.com