[Wolves] SuSE and more odd stuff...

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Mon Feb 7 12:37:59 GMT 2005

>After your numerous posts I decided to have a dig around my Suse box.
>
>Now I might be being stupid here but this don't look right to me,
>
>/etc/cron.hourly (OK)
>/etc/cron.daily (OK)
>/etc/cron.weekly (Empty!!)
>/etc/cron.monthly (Empty!!)

Bear in mind that I can only speak to Debian here, but the /etc/cron.*
files are designed, in Debian, to be used by packages, not the sysadmin.
The sysadmin is meant to use /etc/crontab (possibly with the @hourly,
@daily, etc directives).

>And the next one
>
>/var/mail/peter (OK)
>/var/mail/ (nothing) so wheres root?
>
>I wondered why I was not getting any root mail or any cron reports.

Again, with Debian, when you set up exim (the default mail server) it
asks to whom root mail should be forwarded and makes you pick a user
account; mail doesn't accumulate in root's mailbox.

Aq.