[Wolves] Firefox users may want to read this....

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Feb 7 21:49:41 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 20:37 +0000, Paul Harrison wrote:

> Stephen Parkes wrote:
> | amlat domains should look 'foriegn' in your browser.
>
> Try following the boingboing link.
>
> The point is, the links do *not* look foreign, either when you hover
> your mouse over them or click on them.  To all intents and purposes
> you are in PayPal, according to Mozilla's address bar.

absolutely indredible.  Why on earth does а not render differently
to a, given that they are two different characters and look
significantly different when included in a webpage.  More importantly I
have only seen the standard couple of dozen characters being sold, why
didn't someone tell me I could have an even sillier domain in my
collection than I have ;-)

Most of the domains using IDN's use what are traditionally foreign look
characters such as this domain pàypal.com

Apart from the fact that fake domains will get pulled when they are
discovered being used in a phishing attack this will catch quite a few
people unawares.  You do see the punycode when the browser is making the
connection but for all intents and purposes on the address bar and in
the status bar they do look legit.

The fix is simple, get mozilla based browsers using an interface that is
as clever as engine ;-) if the interface can't display the character it
should be obvious that the correct charset isn't included.

I can forsee thousands of pissed of companies suing squatters who claim
cøke.com is not in any way related to coke.com, in fact if anyone
fancies trying it on cøke.com is available (it's xn--cke-0na.com if
people are interested) and if you sell it on ebay before coke sue your
ass off I want 10% ;-)

oh, but if you do go for it don't forget lots of services won't work and
you at cøke.com will probably be you at xn--cke-0na.com to most people.

> Paul

sparkes