[Wolves] how low can Linux go?

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:40:36 GMT 2005

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:35:11 +0000, baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> As part of this community project I'm working on we want to install
> Linux (Ubuntu) on donated PC's. This is to save the Microsoft licence fee.
>
> An issue we need to work out is what is the MINIMUM speck Linux will run
> on, using Gnome? Most of the business donated PC's are running 64meg
> ram, which I figure is way to small. But to keep costs down we don't
> really want to have to convert them into 'Uber Boxs' to run Linux.
>
> So, what is the smallest hard drive and RAM we can get away with?

It depends what you want installed on them. If you just want a basic
graphical system, (ie office, browser, e-mail, you could do it with a
2 or 3 gb disk and im guessing at around 128MB RAM (96Mb at a push)
would allow you to run it ok as long as you dont use gnome/kde and
stick to something lighter (ie Xfce/fluxbox)
--
Theres no place like ::1

Thanks,
SimonB