[Wolves] FEDORA CORE 3 - Mount commands

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 12:47:43 GMT 2005

 --- Tim Humpherson <tim.humpherson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using SuSE 9.2 Professional, and I could 'see'
> the mounted hard
> drives, even ones with Windows partition in it.  I
> can only read them
> (but not write back, as Peter pointed out).  That is
> fine as I could
> save it to a FAT32 partition, which both Linux and
> Windows would be
> able to read/write (I haven't tested this yet,
> though).
>
> ----
>
> Anyway, how do I "mount" those hdd partitions
> (Windows) with a mount
> command, under RED HAT FEDORA CORE 3?  Also, I would
> like this be
> accessible to certain users, how do I do this?  It
> has something to do
> with CHOWN?
>
> Do I use the following line as follows:
>           mkdir /mnt/windows
>           mount -t ntfs /dev/hdc1 /mnt/windows

Just to supplement what everyone else has said, NTFS
write support is a separate module as it is entirely
unstable. It will eat your filesystem and is therefore
always turned off in vendor supplied kernels. Don't
even try it.

There are 17 different file attributes on an NTFS file
and they must be cycled through in the correct order
if I understand correctly. As MS don't tend to supply
the information on how to do this (application vendors
use the APIs), the Linux NTFS guys are having to work
things out themselves.

Personally I have never been able to read from an NTFS
partition as a normal user, regardless of options
supplied at mount time or the permissions on the mount
point. I have always had to drag the files across as
root and then change the permissions and file
ownership. I'm reasonably sure this is an NTFS
specific  mount feature.

Reading man mount (which you should do), there is a
section on filesystem specific mount options. If you
read the NTFS section there are options to set the
permissions on the volume. It says:

uid=value, gid=value and umask=value
Set the file permission on the filesystem.  The umask
value is given in octal.  By default, the files are
owned by root and not readable by somebody else.

To be honest I wouldn't know what to put here, apart
from my own userid and groupid but I'm not sure what
umask should be. Also from man mount:

umask=value
Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions that are
not present). The default is the umask of the current
process.  The value is given in octal.

So err... 544 anyone, or 555? Remembering NTFS is read
only? I'm guessing here, feel free to wade in and save
me.

If you don't understand, read man mount on how to pass
mount options.

Also probably a good time to read your nice new SuSE
manual or any of a million good howtos on the web on
Linux file permissions.

Ad

=====
--