[Wolves] Forcefully removing a package on Debian

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Fri Feb 18 08:32:34 GMT 2005

Andy Wootton wrote:
>> Just install another MTA. The issue here is that the "sendmail"
>> package provides the virtual package "mail-transport-agent", and lots
>> of stuff depends on that. If you install something *else* that also
>> provides "mail-transport-agent" then you'll be able to remove sendmail
> Is there a similar trick for Evolution in Ubuntu? I've removed it from
> the menus but I know its there,  lurking.Synaptic won't let me remove it
> because ubuntu-desktop depends on it. I've got Thunderbird 1.

No. The reason you need Evo there is that, as far as I can tell, bits of
Gnome depend on it. I'm not happy about this either, but you have to
have it installed, even if you don't use it. I'm resigning myself to
this as the price you pay for proper integration; although the Linux
ethos of allowing users to individually swap out any component of their
system for an equivalent system is a good one in theory, in practice it
means that people write over-geenric interfaces to everything and *no*
integration happens. I think integration is better, but it does have a
price to pay...

Aq.