[Wolves] Need a favour

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 08:57:06 GMT 2005

On Saturday 19 February 2005 19:12, Stephen Parkes wrote:

------------<Previous lines cut by censor>-----------

> evolution crashed three times attempting this reply.  My email client
> has more taste than I do, or perhaps it doesn't have such a dark sense
> of humour.

Your day pass to heaven has just been revoked :D

> >Mind you I've missed your controversial rants, keep up the good work :-)
>
> I'll try ;-)

Trouble is it comes too easy to you ;-)

> >New 'Under construction' page up and running done in Nvu (What no
> > Frontpage?)
>
> Good work, the best plan of attack if you want to learn web development
> is look at the source of what you are creating.  HTML is really, really
> easy if it's well structured (I presume Nvu does quite good code now)
> and the more to look at the code the more you learn.

I've looked at Quanta, Bluefish and Nvu, so far its a toss up between Nvu &
Bluefish IMHO I have to say that MS Frontpage beats them all hands down on
ease of use for a novice.

Both Bluefish and Nvu expect you to have a small amount of HTML coding
knowledge, it took me hours to get the table spacing to a level that was semi
acceptable to me.

I don't know if its was just my system or Nvu but once I had specified the
height and width in the properties dialogue, if I went back to increase the
sizes it refused to change the values the only way I could do it was to go to
source view find the line I needed and change the values there.

With Frontpage you can just drag the lines to the size you want (you cant in
the others) this is a real pain as getting the cell sizes is a case of trial
and error so I spent far too much time flipping back and forth to see what it
looked like.

> Once you know a little html it's easy to find what's going wrong before
> you know it you will work quicker with a text editor than a gui tool ;-)
> that's gotta be satisfying.

I've created loads of web sites I even did one for one of our customers (I
charged him £1000.00, he paid it!) they have all been done in Frontpage.

Actually I have no wish to get involved with web design after doing the one
mentioned above, it was too much grief, "Can you change that?" "I'd like to
put this in" what with all the constant changes I just got fed up.

80% of me aspires to the purist method of text only but the other 20% says and
what use is that to you on a home computer?

I'm not a sysadmin I've no intention of running a web server from my house.
Surprisingly (to me) I do tend to do quit a bit from command line I tend to
keep a terminal open for doing stuff as root and so on.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon