[Wolves] Intellimouse and SuSE 9.2

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 14:07:02 GMT 2005

 --- Tim Humpherson <tim.humpherson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Strange!
>
> In FC3, my Intellimouse (non-M$) does work well,
> even with the middle
> mouse wheel and click.  But under SuSE 9.2
> Professional, the wheel
> does not have any effect at all.

Clearly the graphical tool for setting up your mouse
is not picking up your mouse properly. Compare the X
configuration files on both systems. This lives in
/etc/X11/XFree86.conf or /etc/X11/XFree86.conf-4 or
something like that. Compare the mouse sections
directly, it's pretty obvious which is the mouse
section.

Look for differences, look particularly at the
protocol section, you might need to set the protocol
on SuSE to be ImPS if it says that on FC3 but not on
SuSE. Also look at the buttons value.

If you need to make alterations to your SuSE config
file, then follow the instructions I gave Kevan which
are at

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2005-February/012406.html

particularly make sure you make a backup of the file
before you change it and you know how to put it back
if it doesn't work. This is described in the link
above.

To restart X to try out the new settings just log out
of KDE or whatever and then log in again. If your
mouse doesn't work, just hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a
console and restore your back up and then restart X
again, either by using ALT-F7 to get back to a
graphical window and either use the graphical method
of restarting X if there is one or hit
CTRL-ALT-Backspace to force the X server to restart. A
nicer way to restart X than CTRL-ALT-Backspace is to
issue

/etc/init.d/kdm restart

from the command line.

Really really really make sure you know how to make a
backup, restore it and move between consoles and
graphical windows before attempting this.

CTRL-Alt-F1 will move from a graphical window to the
first virtual console. F2 to F6 will take you to the
others. From a console, Alt-F7 will return you to the
graphical window (no need for CTRL). The X server
always runs on the 7th virtual console (ie the F7
key).

Now decide whether your mouse wheel is worth the aggro
of doing all this...

Search google for X settings for 5 button mice and
adjust your X config file accordingly. I don't know
these off the top of my head.

Ad

=====
--