[Wolves] Networking query

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 18:02:34 GMT 2005

I'm pondering setting up a network here at home.  It will comprise two
Linux tins and a Win2k/XP machine.  At some point I want to go down
the broadband route - touch too expensive for me but it is getting
better.  So, with this in mind I'm thinking of getting some gear and
setting a few things up in readiness.  I know I will need a BB modem
and preferably a combined router switch.  Now, can I use the
router/switch as a switch while i'm still on dial up?  Or, with it
being a BB router, will it refuse to play ball?  I know I can't share
the ISP connection from the switch like a BB modem would so I would
probably stick with the two separate 56k modems that are on two of the
PC's.

Are there likely to be any pitfalls in this set up?  There are
software firewalls on both PC's, the third is not yet set up.

I have tried Mr Google, Peter and I keep getting some good sites but
nothing that quite answers this particular question :-)  I've also got
the Wiley 'Networking Bible' coming in a day or two courtesy of
Amazon.  I just thought I'd ask on here in case anybody has done
something similar...
--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer