[Wolves] Networking query

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 02:36:51 GMT 2005

 --- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> Kevanf1 wrote:

> (a dedicated Smoothwall box is one of
> the ways.) You should configure a firewall on Linux
> even if you don't go
> the Smoothwall way, as you have with your other PCs.

With a Smoothwall box you can set up profiles for your
connection. A profile is simply a saved configuration
that you use for your connection. You can set up more
than one via the web admin interface. So you can set
up your dialup modem profile and then set up another
when you move to broadband. If you get rid of
broadband you can just go back to your dial up
profile. The rest of the box (firewall, DHCP, gateway
address etc) will work regardless of profile used.

> >Are there likely to be any pitfalls in this set up?

> Oh, yes. This is a fully-featured learning
> opportunity ;-)

Never been put better than that :) The Smoothwall docs
are great for learning how to set up networks. Thats
how I learned. Worth a read whether you intend to
install Smoothwall or not.

Ad - agreeing with Woo completely

=====
--