[Wolves] php and GD

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 12:02:53 GMT 2005

Chris Ball wrote:

>Wayne Morris wrote:
>

>>Trying to get PHP 5 to use GD graphics module so i can use Coppermine
>>with phpNUKE, I have installed php and GD together with apt-get,
>>but php refuses to see GD.
>>Any clues on how I reconfig php to support it?
>>

>http://uk2.php.net/gd
>
>Above site wrote:
>"To enable GD-support configure PHP --with-gd[=DIR], where DIR is the GD
>base install directory. To use the recommended bundled version of the GD
>library (which was first bundled in PHP 4.3.0), use the configure option
>- --with-gd. GD library requires libpng and libjpeg to compile."
>
>but also see:
>
>"Note:  Since PHP 4.3 there is a bundled version of the GD lib. This
>bundled version has some additional features like alpha blending, and
>should be used in preference to the external library since its codebase
>is better maintained and more stable."

Hi Chris,

I currently have php 4.3.10 which as you say should have GD bundled with
it, it appears in the 'configure'bit of phpinfo as with-gd=shared, but then
does not appear lower down in any of the modules installed - so i guess
php is calling it for inclusion but not installing it, which I can't
understand because if
its bundled with it should be there? Unless of course its 'bundled' into
another rpm which you need to get at the same time.
I also have GD installed (so apt-get tells me) but I did this from a tar
file and this seems to be badly located in /root/gd/.

Problem at moment is I can't find where 'configure' for  php is
located,  can't seem to find the home directory in all the usual suspects.