[Wolves] Multiple ethernet devices under Debian testing

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 23:47:46 GMT 2005

 --- Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> Adam Sweet wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I added an extra network card to my project
> > machine. I
> > added the correct information to
> > /etc/network/interfaces and added the relevent
> > module
> > to /etc/modules.
> >
> > The cards are different (Intel and 3Com) and I can
> > ping the new interface (eth1) from another machine
> > connected to it via an xover cable.
> >
> > My problem is this:
> >
> > I can't use ifup or ifdown and eth1 is not
> > recorded in I can't use ifup or ifdown and eth1 is

> > not recorded in /etc/network/ifstate. I don't
> > really need to explicitly, I'm just using them as
> > diagnostics.
> > Something is obviously missing, what have I not
> > configured? Do I have to manually edit some script
> > or something?
>
> Why can't you use ifup? ifup -v can help, because
> it'll tell you what
> it's doing...

Ok:

arwen:~# ifup -v eth1
Configuring interface eth1=eth1 (inet)
run-parts /etc/network/if-pre-up.d

ifconfig eth1 192.168.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.2.255                 up
 route add default gw 192.168.1.2  eth1
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
Failed to bring up eth1.

The thing is, eth1 is now up and running fine (ie can
can be accessed by remote machines), except that
ifdown doesn't bring eth1 down:

arwen:~# ifdown -v eth1
                         ifdown: interface eth1 not
configured

and the interface is still up.

Some configuration is missing somewhere... I'll
continue to google.

Ad

=====
--