[Wolves] Linux firewall in 16MB ?

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Wed Jan 5 00:17:12 GMT 2005

Andy Wootton wrote:
> I have a choice of two highly desirable antique PCs to use as a
> firewall. One is a a 486/66 and one a P133. The P133 has 16MB of memory
> and the 486 40MB. Either would have done the job a year ago.

Before you get too far into this, are you doing this because those are
the only antique PCs you have access to, or because you're piqued that
you can't run Linux in less than 64MB any more? If the former, then I
believe Matt Revell has a spare machine (I gave it to him amd he was
talking about passing it on as he's not using it, but check with him
first before demanding it :)); if the latter then Damn Small Linux might
be OK (or even Gentoo); use Smart Boot Manager
(http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/) on a floppy, which will then allow you
to boot a CD.

Aq.