[Wolves] XFS on Linux 2.6 / filserver performance

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 09:01:46 GMT 2005

Heya all,

Has anyone tried XFS on linux?

I'm moving house soon and im setting up a decent sized home network.
For the fileserver I'm thinking software RAID 1. XFS, NFS on 2x80GB,
(1xdrive, 1xspare) purly for data,

No-one is using windows so i dont really have to bother with samba at
this point.

Does anyone have experience/tips for such a setup, or a better setup
if its just serving files to around 8 clients all running linux, BSD
or IRIX.?

Its mainly for music but i may keep ISO's there too.

I know not to use the 4kb stacks in XFS as thats not working in the
kernel at the momment,
and i've decided to not use XFS for the sys partitions, as it can mess
things up in a powercut (binary NULLS in some files etc)
Though would fsync, help to prevent this? incase of power outage,

The usual sys partions will be on a 20Gb I have knocking about, prolly
use ext3 except for /boot (ext2).

--
Theres no place like ::1

Thanks,