[Wolves] Linux supported by Demon

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 23:20:09 GMT 2005

Adam Sweet wrote:

> --- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>

>>They have always had a fairly healthy attitude to
>>Linux
>>because their internal techies like it, but look at
>>'Software Specifications' at:
>>http://www.demon.net/businessbroadband/total.html
>>
>>'Officially' supported! Wow. Is that change I smell
>>in the air?
>>

>This might be something to do with the fact that they
>have a non-standard login script, ie not PAP or CHAP.
>They must have found that they got a lot of complaints
>from Linux users and so made the extra effort.
>
>Good news :)
>
>Ad
>
>=====

Maybe but they always had example scripts available on their web site
and some people on the inside that helped Linux users unofficially via
Usenet. My first Internet connection was via Cityscape through the BCS
and they were bought out by Demon. Their techies were very good but with
great success comes ... telephone support centres.

Remember that Demon grew out of home PC-hacker culture. The original
owner ran an on-line bulletin-board back in the days when a computer was
something that you built with a soldering iron and a kit of parts and
The Internet was a mythical beast believed to live in America. The
college I worked at in my first job had a 300 baud dial-in line for
local schools and half the departmental budget went on paying the bill
for it.

I hope that some astute money men in Thus (what a Really Stupid Name)
noticed that IE lost ten percent of its users to free software and
didn't want the same to happen to them. How much longer will it be
before Matt appears on the scene to tell us about the joy of  marketing?

Woo