[Wolves] Linux in schools

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 22:06:59 GMT 2005

My fine employers have launched a corporate responsibility programme. My
manager has decided to support a junior school near work in Coventry. It
has a good record of achievement but poor parental support. He wants to
help by getting their network under control and then moving them from
their existing Win 95 machines to XP.

Needless to say, I've suggested an alternative strategy that could free
up some money from licensing budgets for better use. Either way I've
offered to help with the networking. If my offer is accepted I will be
paid to do this during working hours so it is difficult to see a reason
not to help.

If we go the Linux route in any way (LEAs can make it very difficult for
a school to move away from the flock), I intend to steal as many of
Ron's good ideas from Chase Academy as possible and use moral blackmail
to get everyone else to help me out of the holes I will inevitably dig
for myself. You have been warned.

I know Jono has expressed an interest in this area. Is this Open
Advantage territory? I'm looking for information resources and ways of
sharing experiences with others doing the same. I'm sure that anything
we achieve could be shared wider than one school.

I've found:

Becta ICT advice - Using Open Source software
http://www.ictadvice.org.uk/index.php?section=te&catcode=as_sof_02&country=eng&rid=1858

Linux For Schools Project
http://www.lfsp.org/

Linux in Schools
http://www.linuxinschools.org/ (including the K12 Linux Terminal Server
Project and LTSP.org)

and several LUGs have pages, though not Wolves - is this one for the Wiki?

Does anyone have any other suggestions because frankly that is quite
pathetic?

Thanks,
Woo

p.s. I've just remembered that there are some schools Usenet newsgroups too.