[Wolves] GNOME + nautilus questions

Rob Annable rob.annable at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 12:17:54 GMT 2005

Sheesh, KDE on a PIII 500 is sloooowwww. I'm gonna persevere with
GNOME, but I need some help because it's not as intuitive.

(this is the point where all you GNOME users are thinking 'of course
KDE is slow' and 'what do you mean it's not intuitive?!')

Being off Linux for a while has meant that I've not posted much here
recently; today's the day I make up for lost time...

Firstly, is there a way you can get nautilus to open folders in the
browse format straight away, rather than right-click and choose
'browse folder'? I need the back/forward/up buttons and a location bar
and I want to be able to double click and get going.

Secondly, is there an option for split window panes along side each
other or tabbed browsing in Nautilus?

Thirdly, if I choose 'open location' and type in an ftp address it
mounts a link on the desktop and then tries to boot my default web
browser when I click it; then it fails because it hasn't asked for the
login details. What's with that? I just want it to ask me for the user
and password, save it, and open the location in a Nautilus window.

Fourthly, bluetooth doesn't seem as straight forward as it is in KDE.
I can happily push from my phone and it drops into /var/lib/bluetooth
without causing a fuss, but I can't work out how to pull and get up
the list of services that my phone offers. The bluetooth device
manager lists the phones nearby (including my neighbours!) but I can't
do anything with it beyond that point - if I ask it for the properties
of a phone in the list, nothing happens. In KDE I could browse the
contents of my phone and copy and paste. I thought this had something
to do with typing bluetooth:/// in the location bar, but it just
chokes when I try that.

Mercifully, I've momentarily forgotten the other dozen questions I had.

Rob

--
http://rob.annable.co.uk