[Wolves] GNOME + nautilus questions

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Sun Jan 30 18:18:12 GMT 2005

Rob Annable wrote:
> Sheesh, KDE on a PIII 500 is sloooowwww. I'm gonna persevere with
> GNOME, but I need some help because it's not as intuitive.
>
> (this is the point where all you GNOME users are thinking 'of course
> KDE is slow' and 'what do you mean it's not intuitive?!')
>
> Being off Linux for a while has meant that I've not posted much here
> recently; today's the day I make up for lost time...
>
> Firstly, is there a way you can get nautilus to open folders in the
> browse format straight away, rather than right-click and choose
> 'browse folder'? I need the back/forward/up buttons and a location bar
> and I want to be able to double click and get going.

OK, I'll tell you how to do this, but you must promise that you'll stick
with the "one window per folder" thing for a while first, and not just
switch to this because it seems more like what you're used to. The
one-window-per-folder thing really is a productivity improvement once
you're used to it, I promise. As Jono says, if what bothers you about it
is that you get a million windows on screen when you drill down to a
folder, try middle-clicking a folder to open it, which will then close
the one you have open as well as opening the new one.

Anyway -- and remember, you promised to stick with the spatial approach
for a while -- in Edit | Preferences | Behaviour, there's an "always
open in browser windows" option (at least on Ubuntu warty there is).

> Secondly, is there an option for split window panes along side each
> other or tabbed browsing in Nautilus?

Not afaik, but then why not just open two windows next to one another?
This is why the spatial approach is good. :)

> Thirdly, if I choose 'open location' and type in an ftp address it
> mounts a link on the desktop and then tries to boot my default web
> browser when I click it; then it fails because it hasn't asked for the
> login details. What's with that? I just want it to ask me for the user
> and password, save it, and open the location in a Nautilus window.

Try File | Connect To Server, and fill in the details. You'll then get
an FTP window again, which will also be created in Network so you can go
back to it later.

> Fourthly, bluetooth doesn't seem as straight forward as it is in KDE.
> I can happily push from my phone and it drops into /var/lib/bluetooth
> without causing a fuss, but I can't work out how to pull and get up
> the list of services that my phone offers. The bluetooth device
> manager lists the phones nearby (including my neighbours!) but I can't
> do anything with it beyond that point - if I ask it for the properties
> of a phone in the list, nothing happens. In KDE I could browse the
> contents of my phone and copy and paste. I thought this had something
> to do with typing bluetooth:/// in the location bar, but it just
> chokes when I try that.

I'm a bit new to this Bluetooth lark, since I only got a USB Bluetooth
adapter today (happy birthday to me!), but Gnome Bluetooth Manager is,
um, a bit incomplete. Clicking Properties doesn't do anything for me
either. Out of interest, what would you expect to see in here, in "the
list of services your phone offers"? I can't think of a lot I'd want to
do beyond send/receive files, send/receive SMSes, and use it as a GPRS
modem, all of which are currently supported. Confusingly, there are two
applications: Gnome BLuetooth Manager and Gnome Phone Manager. This is
an area in heavy flux; if you're using Ubuntu, which I don't think you
are, then the standard "it's better in hoary" disclaimer applies
(although not better to the point of being right, I don't think).
Fedora: dunno, although when I try it I'll report back.

Aq.