[Wolves] List on upcoming.com

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 01:30:40 BST 2005

Peter Oliver wrote:

> A web-based meetings list has often been suggested, but no-one has
> ever bothered to write the code.  It's also often noted that the "next
> meeting" section of the Wolves LUG website is out of date and should
> be automatically updated.
>
> Well, Upcoming.org looks just the job.  I've created an item for the
> next LUG meeting.  If people like it we can use it in future, and if
> they don't we can stick with the existing email-based list.
>
> http://upcoming.org/event/22457
>
> While you're there, you may notice that I've added entries for a
> number of upcoming local gigs (using a screen scraper).  It's been a
> source of frustration for me that you have to vist a bunch of
> different websites to find out what's happening in the area.  It
> should be possible for the site to gain enough momentum in the local
> area to become pretty comprehensive. It just needs users.  Add any
> events you're attending, tell a friend or mention it in your blog.
> Subscribe to the iCal feed so you don't forget about it.

We tried it the WIKI way. I think it was generally agreed that it didn't
work.

I've put a bit more effort into investigating Upcoming.org tonight. I'm
much more impressed than I was on my first visit and I've signed up for
music at least. NB You can sign up to more than one 'metro' and watch
what your friends are going to (targets of stalkers beware.) Being
community driven does seem to align it with the idea of a LUG and the
iCal interface should be useful. It even has Python!

Woo