[Wolves] Re: 10/10 Yoper

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 14:41:51 BST 2005

On Monday 04 July 2005 13:52, roundyz wrote:

> Fedora is quite cruel. Not the worst but it don't give up much features
> without a fight. Once you have it working they way you want it, well it's
> really rewarding.

How/Why???

> Anther great destribution that works and has the best install ever!!TM is
> simply mephis. Installs from a live CD. Everything works straight from the
> disc. All you need to do is configure preferences. It's debian based(well
> it has apt) and all program installs are handled by the front end Kpackage.
> I recommend it to anyone who is cutting their teeth to use this.

Most Linux users make the same mistake time and time again, myself included,
we forget that there are basically two types of people who come to linux
arena.

1. People who have used Microsoft for years.
2. People with very limited exposure to any type of Computer.

MS users ideally need something that looks, feels and handles exactly like MS
stuff IMHO Mandriva is about the closest unless of course you consider
something like Lindows.

This is why so many ex Microsoft people use it for a day or two then give up
generally with a parting tirade email of how crap Linux is.

Total novices are a different kettle of fish, as they don't have any prior
knowledge theres nothing tainting their capabilities.

These are the ones who generally stick with it and grow quicker than ex MS
bods like me, they don't know any differant and so are happy to work things
out Windows tends to make you lazy.

All the Debian/Debian based stuff is good and stable but you do need a bit of
experience to use them as I think Kevan said whats needed is something that
works 99% out of  the box I wont say 100% because that would be stupid
Windows has its glitches even on new machines.

The beauty of Linux unlike MS (to a certain extent) is you can start of with
lets say Suse (forget the money issue for a minute) then progress to
something a bit more demanding.

So I'd say Mandriva, Red Hat or Suse, I know theres money involved with RH &
Suse but I think they really are value for money and if you shop around you
can get them for half the price of XP.

> Fedora though, is simply great in my oppion.

You've chosen the right path don't let these Debian/Ubantu heretics lure you
to the darkside.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon