[Wolves] RAID on Linux

Stuart Langridge stuart.langridge at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 08:12:21 BST 2005

> I'd say use two high end SATA drives, with an onboard controller
> (avoiding the PCI bus I hope) and use Software Raid.

I don't get to decide how they build hardware. Nothing to do with me,
that. I will get to say "don't use RAID controller N because it won't
work", but not "you should do it this way instead". They don't tell me
how to design apps and I don't tell them how to build servers. :)

> Most low end RAID controllers are software based, and all the card
> does is provide the interface to two extra hard disks.
>
> As far as I know Adaptec are a good bet.

So does that mean that I should be quite picky and recommend a
specific brand, rather than being able to assume that I can use
anything (like I can with, say, video cards)?

Aq.