[Wolves] vanishing e-mail - MTA

Rob Annable rob.annable at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 14:28:55 BST 2005

On 7/8/05, David Goodwin <dg at clocksoft.com> wrote:
> Rob Annable wrote:
> > My e-mail is disappearing. After about 12 hours of not receiving a
> > single mail I started to get suspicious. Today I've tested it by
> > sending a mail from my gmail account to my main account. It shows up
> > when I visit the webmail portal in my browser, then later it
> > disappears when I revisit.
> >
> > Something, somewhere is pulling down my mail.
> >
> > Is it possible that the mail transfer agent settings in YaST in SuSE
> > is doing it? I have a machine switched on at home that I've just set
> > up with SuSE/KDE. All I've done so far is install it and fiddled with
> > a few network settings. I filled in a few boxes in the Mail Transfer
> > Agent without being entirely sure what I was doing. My understanding
> > was that it simply held the info and something like fetchmail has to
> > be invoked to actually query the account - is this correct? Or is it
> > periodically checking my inbox and fetching my mail?
> >
> > If that's the case, where on earth is it putting it?
> >
> > Rob
>
> ps auxww | grep fetchmail
>
> Any matches?
>
> (There's getmail as well, as an alternative, and SLOX had fetchd (?) i
> think)
>
> David.

So this will list any e-mail that it's fetched? I'll try it when I get
home tonight. Do you think my theory is sound? Has completing the
details in the Mail Transfer Agent caused it to start fetching my
mail? I haven't even started up a single mail client on that machine
yet.

Rob
--
http://rob.annable.co.uk