[Wolves] Beginner's Linux courses

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 21:33:45 BST 2005

--- Tim Humpherson <tim.humpherson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/7/05, mad-malc at tiscali.co.uk
> <mad-malc at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Do any of you know of any local linux courses that
> I could enrol on?
> > I am playing about with linux at the moment and
> would like a more structured
> > approach, even if it's a good book through which
> you can do some self study?

> Yeah, I'd like that.  A structured Linux lesson
> would'nt go amiss for
> Linux learners.
>
> A generic lesson that would cover most Linux OSes
> would be great.

Not off hand, but Open Advantage did some beginners
courses in the last month or two. Think you've missed
them all now after a quick look at the website
http://www.openadvantage.org/

Forgive me Tim if this sounds in an yway derogatory,
but am I right in thinking you might prefer a written
(online or treeware) course? I don't know of any of
those off hand either.

You could both bug Jono to see if OA would do another
one.

On the other hand, maybe we could at some time in the
future do a LUG beginners day on a Saturday afternoon
or something, where people bring their machines and
some people explain how to do stuff. I'd be quite
happy to do that if people were interested, I'd pretty
much explain how to do anything you asked about
provided I knew it. With the exception of making sound
cards work...

We could cover installing and partitioning, choosing a
distro, setting up email and a net connection,
managing your files, managing the system,
understanding devices (/dev), the directory tree,
filesystems, getting system info (/proc) and using
redirectors < > and pipes |

In the meantime go away and read the man pages on the
following commands:

ls, cd, cp, mv, rm, cat, less, df, free, top, ps,
ifconfig, grep, su, mount, kill, modprobe, lsmod,
lspci and lsusb.

If you can use those then you can do most things that
you will need to do. Oh and learning to decipher man
pages and reading or even finding information and
tutorials on the net is immensely important but can't
really be taught, it just starts to make sense after a
while.

I'll stop writing this stuff now because you could
keep going for ever, I've undoubtedly missed out some
critical command or other.

For the most part a graphical way of doing things
isn't easy to explain as they tend to be different
across desktops and distributions.

Anyone else think this is a good idea or be willing to
assist?

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk