[Wolves] dynamic dns

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 00:23:42 BST 2005

roundyz wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Thanks for your help with the mouse issue, found more on the issue on google
>it's all cleared up now.
>
>I have purchased a domain name as I want to host my own mail server for myself
>and my family and some misc website along the pipline. But it's mostly for my
>mail server and my ftp.
>My ftp server is setup and works fine. I have tested it with the current IP.I
>have a dynamic IP and are unable to get a static one. I've heard about
>dynamic dns but was wondering wether or not it would benefit me. I am new to
>hosting and would like some advise.
>
>Goal= ftp://mydomainname.com  as opposed to ftp://someramdomIPaddy.com
>and of course anyfamilymembername at mydomain.com for e-mail.
>
>How would I go about this? I have read before that there is a program that
>sends the current IP to the dns server and they allocate it to your domain
>name....is this true? There isn't much help in the Wiley Fedora for people
>ith dynamic IPs wishing to host.
>
>Tobe honestIunderstand it with static IPs as you fill in the info when you buy
>the domain. Te user types in the domain name and that is check with the dns
>server who in turn redirects them to my server.
>
>I'm quite confused.
>
>Matt

or no-ip.com as alternate to otther suggestions.

you pay for traffic to be routed to address like joebloggs.com.
Another service they offer well worth paying for is mail server backup,
if your server goes tits up, their server takes all the mail then forwards
it to yours when yours comes back online - this bit is only about
£20-£30 per year.