[Wolves] Tiscali and Linux

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 10:30:18 BST 2005

On 16/07/05, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/07/05, Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi
> > Anyone has any experience of using Tiscali broadband
> > with Linux. I am asking as one of our friends wants to
> > go on Linux but they are on Tiscali broadband at the
> > moment. Also Any suggestions of boradband modems the
> > will work with Linux just in case I hit problems with
> > their current modem (I don't know what it is yet).
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mo
> >

> There are quite a few BB modems supported under SuSE Linux.  It's
> probably best to check out one of the many hardware compatibility
> websites though.  Sorry, I used to have a list of them - not
> exhaustive - but seem to have lost them (????) Try a Google search...
>
> I would have thought, though, that a modem router might be the best
> way to go as they are almost inevitably going to work under Linux.
> That said, I had a BT Voyager 205 that came with my Plus Net package -
> I actually asked for a USB modem but I'm not complaining - the USB
> side didn't work with Linux but the ethernet side works a treat
> :-)))))  But, I have since swapped it with a D-Link 504 II 4 port
> modem/router/switch/firewall.  It works fantastically and means I can
> share the connection between my two (at present) PC's.  I can of
> course add a switch at a later date if I wanted to add more PC's to my
> home network.
>
> HTH
> --

Of course I was assuming a standard BT phone line connection :-))))

I do know that the cheap and very common Alcatel 'frog' modem seems to
work under most flavours of Linux and it's a USB modem.

Still better with a router though as it doesn't grab any CPU power
like a USB one 'usually' does.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer