[Wolves] Frigging (with) Sendmail

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 14:00:42 BST 2005

Ok this is my previously hinted at Sendmail problem.
Remember, my knowledge is decidedly fuzzy here, so be
polite with your "What on earth do you want to do that
for?" comments.

I have 2 web servers running behind a load balancer
and both use 192.168.x.x addresses with the load
balancer as their internet accessible gateway. When a
website user wants to be reminded of their details
they click the magic button which sends an email
containing their details from one of the web servers.

The problem I have is that as they are on a local
network, they do not have resolvable DNS addresses and
some mail servers are refusing the mails as the
senders address is not from a resolvable domain.

Knowing little about Sendmail I have tried to use the
load balancer as a smarthost and to masquerade_as and
masquerade_envelope as the loadbalancer.

On neither of these 2 web servers is Sendmail handling
mail for any other machines, just system mail and
generated mail (via PHP on the web server).

This is an e-commerce website so security is a big
issue, what is the best way to rewrite the senders
address? It used to be done using the -f option to the
php mail function but this is now disabled via PHP's
safe mode. How big a risk is disabling safe mode? Do I
want to rewrite the headers at Sendmail level or at
PHP level?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the best way forward is
with this one.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk