[Wolves] PHP/MySQL help please

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 14:53:06 BST 2005

On Monday 25 July 2005 13:45, Simon Morris wrote:

> mysql_connect.inc is normally a small file containing your SQL
> connection information e.g. host, username, password, database.

Yep thats the one, after creating this initial file apparently you can modify
it, save it under a differant name to do other connections. Not got that far
yet. :(

> The reason this is in a separate file and not in your main PHP code is
> that you can keep this information securely out of the way of your web
> root.

You got the same book as me? That paragraph is almost word perfect ;)

> You may find sometimes that Apache serves up the PHP raw code rather
> than process the PHP script so browsers see the PHP statements. This
> happens rarely if Apache is misconfigured but you wouldn't like your
> database connection parameters to be shown to clients.

That did happen but I think it was more to do with it being outside of /htdocs

> Where is the rest of the PHP code for the accounts database? do you have
> a index.php file anywhere?

Yes I cant remember the tree right now as I'm at work but I think its
something like this;

/svr/www/htdocs/php

There is loads of php stuff in there calendar.php etc, etc.

> That sounds like you don't have the php4-mysql package installed

Oh yes I do along with a gazillion other php packages Yast did throw up some
conflict errors but I resolved those.

> When troubleshooting PHP it is a good idea to create a new file with the
> following statement in
>
> <?php
> phpinfo();
> ?>

See my reply to Dave.

---<Cut from Waynes Mail>---

> Sounds like your missing the php module for apache and mysql,  mysql.php.

I don't think so but I'll have a look.

> Even if you have it, it may not have been compiled into apache.

> From similar problems with this, its no good installing Apache, then
> Php, then Mysql,
> you have to do something like apt-get install apache with php and mysql
> so they all get installed together.

This is Suse the only installer I use on this machine is YAST.

---<End Cut>---

Thanks for all the pointers guy's, watch this space :)

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

"There is every excuse for not knowing,