[Wolves] NTL as an ISP?

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 00:20:15 BST 2005

My daughter is about to move out of her Notts. Uni. accomodation with
built-in broadband into a shared rented house with no phone. Is NTL
cable a good option for the whole house to share or are there going to
be restrictions? I remember someone mentioning the merger with Telewest.
Phone isn't an issue since they all have mobiles grafted on and I can
look at Skype or the new Yahoo voice service for those long chats with
boyfriends.

I've got no experience of cable. The web site says that a 'modem' is
included then it implies that there is a choice of USB (recommended) or
Ethernet. I think either goes to a Linux firewall PC then a Wireless
Access Point but am I right?

Luckily I have been granted a stay of execution on the job front by a 6
month assignment in Nottingham so I'll be on hand to spend a few late
nights getting it working.

Woo