[Wolves] LUG Meeting 'free music' discussion continued - Anti-iTunes site

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 20:18:14 BST 2005

fizzy wrote:

>--- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
>

>>OK. "We don't stock a new record until it is in the
>>charts" HMV, The Fort.
>>
>I bought the new million dead album for £10 on day of
>release from HMV.  I'd say that was cheap and they
>certainly didn't chart.

Sorry, I didn't explain - new records by new artists. They are happy to
back a certain winner where they have sales stats to fall back on. The
record companies seem to discount new releases now to buy their way into
the charts. The price may go up once the record is in the charts. In
December the albums prices were increased just at the front of the shop
where the sale stock normally is to screw the Christmas shoppers. The
staff there are great though; as knowledgable as in a real record shop.

>Might be worth attacking the power of radio playlists,
>I could get behind you on that one.
>
>fizz

Why do they have power? The Internet isn't allowing unsigned bands and
small labels to provide effective competition like it should be doing,
because the big boys own the standards. I'm looping now...

Woo