[Wolves] gftp download size

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 20:15:54 BST 2005

Peter Oliver wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Stuart Langridge wrote:
>
>> On 6/7/05, David Morley <davmor2 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm downloading the ubuntu repos for splineboy.  I'm using gftp to
>>> transfer
>>> the file but it seems to have an annoying 2 gig download limit is
>>> there a
>>> way to increase it please?  Sorry if this is a repeat.
>>

>> If it is a gftp limit (which would be brain-dead) then you might find
>> that wget on the command line will be better...
>

> Braid-dead?  Not at all.  It's very common for programs to fail with
> files larger than 2GB (which are called "large files").

I imagine it's related to what you can address with a single register in
31 bits. I'm puzzled what the 32th bit is being used for.

On VAX/VMS virtual memory was divided into 2 x 2GB address spaces; one
for me, one for the system but that doesn't seem an appropriate trick to
use on the file system.

Woo