[Wolves] Read This - Re: Goodbye

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 16:07:18 BST 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 15:11, Bobby Singh wrote:
> TAKEN FROM KUBUNTU NEWSGROUP
>
> --- Efwkub at aol.com wrote:
> > Dear Linux enthusiasts in general and Kubuntu people
> > in particular, thank you
> > for the assistance I have received on this list.
> >
> > With regret I have decided that I do not have enough
> > time to use Linux.
> > Unfortunately I have had too many problems, bugs,
> > inconsistencies, etc. etc. First
> > with SUSE (as earlier noted I gave up using their
> > support as it was going
> > nowhere, slowly). Now with Kubuntu.

Hi Bobby

Firstly, don't give in so quickly. to be honest I didn't take much notice of
any problems you may have posted in respect of Suse.

Was you using version 9.2? that release was plagued with problems 9.3 is much
better, also as a beginner I don't think you did yourself any favours by
selecting Kubuntu as much as I love the look and feel of it thats about the
only praise you'll get from me in respect of Ubuntu & Kubuntu.

Having read your extensive mail you obviously have a wide knowledge of MS
however IMHO when you come to the Linux arena you need to forget all you
know, at first. It'll only trip you up.

You'd have been better off starting with Mandrake/Mandriva or even Fedora they
are easy to use and in the case of Mandriva have the look and feel of Windows
so the culture shock is not so great.

My humble advice to any new user is play around with whatever you choose for
at least two weeks so that you get a rough idea of whats going on, OK so
maybe sounds not working or you cant get on the net its not that critical for
a few days.

Jumping in with both feet trying to set up a cluster server over a wireless
connection with separate partitions for users and god knows what is for the
Guru's.

I run WinXP and Suse dual boot at home my XP used my Hayes external Modem for
two years but a month ago decided it didn't like it anymore and crashes if I
try and use it yet Suse loves it in fact it gives me higher speeds than I'm
supposed to get (I've had 59K!!) admittedly its V90.

I don't knock Windows I use it a lot but I love Linux too, my only complaint
is against myself and my lack of knowledge.

My Grandfather used to say "Its a poor man who blames his tools" and in
respect of Linux theres never a truer saying sure there might be a bit of
wrong code but thats the fun finding it and putting it right.

So don't give in there are guys on this list who really know theirs stuff try
something easier once you've got the hang of the basics you can take the
training wheels off :-)

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.