[Wolves] Python or Perl?

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 01:10:32 BST 2005

Lee Parkes wrote:

>Hi folks,
>At the risk of starting a religeous war, I was wondering what the relative
>merits of Perl and Python are. I'm not a programmer, but, I ought to start to
>learn a language like either of the above so I can write scripts to do useful
>stuff. When I say I'm not a programmer I really mean it :) I've done some
>Bash scripting and a little bit of C but thats it..
>
>Cheers,
>	Lee

I think the Pearl mantra "There's more than one way" sums up the difference.
If you like to be able to choose from a range of different ways of
solving a problem then Perl will suit you. If you think there should be
one right way then you'll prefer Python.

I should qualify this by saying I've read about them both but never
written an original program from scratch in either.

Woo