[Wolves] OT: 2 Live8 tickets possibly available - Hyde Park this Saturday 2nd July

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Tue Jun 28 10:53:10 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>The best way of helping Africa would be for humanity (the world as a
>whole) to sort out the dictators who rule the African nations.  Wiping
>out third world debt will not make a scrap of difference to the real
>people of Africa.  They will still be starving and plagued by disease.
> It will, however, make life an awful lot easier for people like
>Mugabe et al.

of course it will.

1) people hungry
2) country in debt
3) REVOLUTION! (expensive two armies, infrastructure destruction, lives
lost)
4) borrow to solve problems
5) go to step one

wipe out the debt you stop the people backing the next generation of
mugabee's who will increase the debt and the poverty of the people at
every stage.

It used to be the case that whenever a massive package of loans was
provided (for hospitals, schools, roads etc) the current leader
redecorated the house and brought a new jet.  This obviously pissed the
people off who had been promised hostpitals, schools, roads etc and they
welcomed the next revolution or tollerated revolutionaries during long
(read expensive buying arms from the very countries they are indebted
to) civil wars.

dropping the debt stops the cycle and gives people a chance to make the
next change a well thought out one in step of another mugabee they get
to choose a gandhi or a mandela and start educating the next generation
instead of arming them.

It's not our place to 'sort out dictators' who rule other countries but
giving people every opportunity to think out their next move because
they are not forced into a do or die situation and can make future
choices in velvet revolutions instead of bloody civil war is in our
power and we should do it.

wouldn't it be nice to have a generation of children who listen to the
health warnings and cut the spread of aids because they can see a future.

sparkes