[Wolves] OT: 2 Live8 tickets possibly available - Hyde Park this Saturday 2nd July

Lee Parkes leep at bogus.net
Tue Jun 28 12:19:28 BST 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:20:31AM +0100, Alan Pope wrote:

> Which makes it even worse! "Look how much I paid the charity for this
> ticket, yet I made 50 quid out of it", yeah, well done, nice one,
> congratulations.

So what? The charity will still gain money. How many people tried, and failed,
to get tickets? A colleague of mine said that she had a budget of £150 to try
and get tickets. Now, lets say 10000 people do the same, that means the charity
gets 1.5 million quid. Not bad for a days work..

> The word is "difference" not blackmail.

No, it is a form of blackmail, it's emotional blackmail. Morals have nothing to
do with this as they determine what is acceptable behaviour based on a set of
agreed rules of society.
Apparently it is illegal for a charity collector to shake the tin as it is seen
as trying to solicit money from people. However, images of starving kids etc
are used to great effect to get people to part with their money.

> It depends on where the proceeds go. If the seller gives the money to
> the charity, it's okay (IMHO), if it's for personal gain, it's again
> tasteless. However the fact that I have a rather intense dislike of
> football saves me from having to worry about that too much :)

The seller has every right to keep the proceeds from the sale. The likelihood
is that the sale price will exceed the original purchase price anyway because
demand will outstrip supply. I agree with a previous poster that most people
will go to a) see the bands and b) appease some kind of emotional "me too"
god.
I've given money to charity, I still do. But when I was made redundant it was
the first thing to be stopped as I had to think about my own financial
situation. Giving time/experience/labour is a better bet for helping the
charities anyway, but how many of us can afford a few months off of work
*unpaid* to go out to Africa to help them? I'd love to jump in my Landy and
start putting up network/comms infrastructure for the people but I can't.

Money is usually the only way that we, as ordinary working people, have of
helping those less fortunate than ourselves. However, what I would like to know
is: who is helping our homeless people? Who is providing shelter to abused and
homeless children on our streets? The charities in for causes in this country
find it difficult to compete against Geldof. Personally I don't like Geldof.
He is doing his best to make everyone feel guilty about the plight in Africa
and forcing eBay to stop selling tickets smacks of the same dictatorial
attitude as Mugabe. I agree with what he is trying to achieve, but, Bob, STFU!

Lee

leep at bogus.net DOC #25 GLASS #136 www.mud-dog.org
I Need A Reason To Stand Up And Fight
Need To Believe What I See - The Silver Drop - Mnemic