[Wolves] OT: 2 Live8 tickets possibly available - Hyde Park this Saturday 2nd July

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Wed Jun 29 18:51:09 BST 2005

Lee Parkes wrote:

>I think we may have to agree to disagree on this.

I have to agree that counting rough sleepers is like managing
programmers but the counts are always lower than you think.  when you
count poeple in shelters and vunerable housing the count rockets beyond
belief

>It is my *personal* opinion
>that not enough is done to help the people in need in this country before we
>help others. By all means help everyone, especially if the country is in a
>position to do so. But how many countries sent rescue teams to the flood in
>Cornwall? How many to the severe winds in the South a few years back?

The difference is we are a rich country with the expertise to cope with
disasters on the scale of the west country floods.  I was in lyme regis
at the time of the bocastle flood and in the time it took to drive from
south devon to dorset I saw about 10 rescue helicopters on route.  No
doubt these where packed with the people and equipment needed.

You can't possiblly have the man power and equipment needed to cope with
a tsunami or richter 9 earth quake where ever it happens and certainly
not on the scene within an hour.

We help other countries in times of need because we can.  As a beliver
in the goodness of human nature (dispite what I often see with my own
eyes) I believe that the people you help would help you if they have the
chance.  While, even if it's a minority, people think like this the
world over we live in a better place.

sparkes