[Wolves] Switching servers

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 10:06:34 GMT 2005

I'm working my way thru swopping data from one that won't boot, to a new
one.
Did mysql very easily (below for record in case anyone wants to know how).
About to do mail.
Would I be right in thinking that as mail is just a flat file , copying
it to the relevant directory on new machine will make it readable as normal?
As the user already exists and has mail on new machine, if I append the
contents of 'oldmail' to the end of  'newmail', will both sets of email
appear
in inbox correctly?

Moving mysql data:
Stop Mysql server
copy var/lib/mysql/* from old server to new
chown /var/lib/mysql/* to mysql
don't seem to need to do permissions (well if root is db user I guess
you wouldn't
start new mysql server.

If you try to do it with mysqld running, /var/lib/mysql/mysql (where
users and permissions are kept) keeps reverting to
the users and permissions of the new server.