[Wolves] Linux Display

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:02:37 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:57:08 +0000, Peter Cannon
<peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 04 March 2005 10:17, Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> > We, my family, are on both the mailing and telephone preference
> > service lists.  This means we don't get junk mail throught post or
> > people ringing up trying to sell me a mortgage or windows or
> > something.
>
> To be honest TPS & FPS are slightly ineffectual yes they will stop unwarranted
> contact but it takes a while.

Agreed, it does take a few months but once it does kick in it is
fantastic.  We were geting an awful lot of junk mail.  About 6 months
after signing up the majority of the junk just stopped.  It is a very
noticeable difference now.

> We used to do fax campaigns the FPS (Fax Preferential Service) would write to
> us every week sending an explanation form to be honest you just put any old
> rubbish like "Oh sorry it was an old list we bought, oops we got a digit
> wrong on the number"  and they go away

Now the annoying thing about junk faxes is that it costs the recipient
in wasted ink and paper.  Ok, the odd one is neither here or there but
if you get hundreds in a day then I would say the recipient is rightly
going to be mite angry.

> > Unless they are based in India which seems to get away
> > with the practice.  It would be good if there were a similar service
> > for e-mail addresses.  That way, if somebody didn't mind getting
> > advertising for stuff then they get it.  I am one or two IT suppliers
> > lists and I'm quite happy about it.
>
> There is its called BT nearly all ISP's route thorough Telecoms House in
> London one word to BT they threaten the ISP who in turn cut off the customer,
> no arguments.

I meant the telephone mailers based in India.  It gets me when they
start off saying something like "you have a mortage, yes".  I say
"no!"  That stumps them and they repeat themselves.  They are of
course working from old, old data.  I'm never nasty about it though
but I usually just say no thank you and put the phone down.

> Of course that only relates to the UK
>
> > I'm also on a scheme whereby I
> > receive spam but I get paid for it in points.  So far it has bought me
> > a Canon LiDE 50 scanner and a set of decent quality (properly
> > shielded) scart cables.
>
> Excellent one mans Spam another mans Advertising, well done I salute you.
>
> > What I object to is my kids getting porn spam
> > (& me when it's paedo stuff) and offers of loans.
>
> If its a 10th as bad as we get then I feel for you. and we have some of the
> most sophisticated security features in place.

It's bad.  But it's generally easy to spot from the subject line.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street