[Wolves] Linux with windows ads??

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 12:38:10 GMT 2005

(To the www.linux.org maintainers - this discussion came up on our LUG's
mailing list recently - cc'd to yourselves in the hope that you might find it
interesting/useful)

On Friday 11 Mar 2005 20:20, Ron Wellsted wrote:
> Mo Awkati wrote:
> | Hi
> |
> | I went on the Linux.org site today and saw the page
> | below. What on earth are the Windows ads doing on this
> | site??????
> |
> | http://www.linux.org/news/2005/03/11/0007.html
> |

> | Mo
>
> They are using Google to place the ads on the page, for which they get
> paid by google.  They will have very little, if any, say over the
> content of the ads.

The ads are automatically chosen from members of the Google AdWords programme,
based on keywords (etc) appearing on the page. Advertisers can specify the
keywords that will trigger each advert being displayed. There are of the
order of 100000 AdWords participants. Where none are deemed suitable then a
blank area or advert for a charitable organisation (or something completely
weird and irrelevant) may be displayed instead - the web site owner does not
receive any revenue when this happens.

Members of the AdSense programme (the corresponding programme for web
publishers) such as Linux Online! can specify a "URL Filter List" of upto 200
sites such as those belonging to competitors, etc. Adverts linking to sites
on this list will not be shown on the AdSense member's web pages. For more
information see:

https://www.google.com/adsense/tips

Regards,

James