[Wolves] mysql questions

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 13 11:43:09 GMT 2005

david wrote:

> baza wrote:
>
>> OK, I've got mysql installed on my Ubuntu box, but I keep getting
>> this error
>>
>> baza at barbelith:/etc/mysql$ sh debian-start
>> Checking for crashed MySQL tables in the background.
>> baza at barbelith:/etc/mysql$ /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at
>> 'localhost' failed
>> error: 'Access denied for user: 'baza at localhost' (Using password: YES)'
>>
>> Any advice would be -very- welcome.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I know very little about mysql (postgresql is far better :) ) however
> your problem may lie with the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file, which contains
> the username and password to connect to.
>
> Alternatively, "man mysqladmin" should tell you how to specify a
> username mysql understands (at a guess "root" may be an initial user)
>
> David.

...and I know less than David! - but I remember having to specify a
username on the command line when I helped my wife work out how to use
mysql when she was using for her M.Sc. project and I can confirm that,
sadly, 'root' is an option for DBA activities. There are some decent
tutorials on the O'Reilly LAMP pages.

Woo